Regional Consultation - National policy for Children, 2010
at NIPPCCD Regional Centre, Lucknow, 7th January, 2011
The National Policy for Children, adopted on 22nd August, 1974 has been in process of review from 2008 in order to better address emerging challenges related to the rights of children and an Advisory and Drafting Committee had been formed for the purpose.
As part of the on-going process of review, the Ministry of Women and Child Development is hold Regional Consultations across the country in order to collate comments, views, suggestions and inputs from all stakeholders on the contents of a new policy for children. Participants included concerned Ministries and Departments from States/UTs, Civil society organizations, independent experts, government/non-government organizations and academicians.
The first such Consultation was held in September at Bengaluru, the second in October at Guwahati and the third at New Delhi.
The 5th in this series of consultations held on the 7th of January, 2011 at NIPCCD Regional Centre, Lucknow.
Ms. Harleen Walia, Consultant of Ministry of Women and Child Development, GOI presented power point presentation of Draft National Policy for Children, 2010 and laid out objectives of the consultation and stressed on the importance of the initiative to examine and assess the policy, and to formulate recommendations which will reaffirm country’s recognition and acceptance of helping the children across the country.
Stating that even after 36 years, the policy for children was not used well for the benefit and security of children and affirmed that peace, education and children’s right should be encouraged and made mandatory to empower the children. The recommendations drawn from the consultation will be presented at National Level Consultation to be held at Delhi, soon.
The Chief Guest Anju Bhalla, Director Ministry of Women and Child Development, GOI in her message lamented that child right situation in the state was pitiful. He encouraged the NGO’s and civil society leaders to learn from the models, existing in the world.
The consultation through group discussions and work on what does a National Policy for Children in 2010 need and sharing reviewed the policy paper and came up with several recommendations to address specific child rights issues for effective implementation of the policy.
There were over 36 persons who participated in the consultation.
1. Ms. Aparna, Assistant Labour Commissioner, Department of Labour Resources, Patna, Bihar
2. Ms. Usha Rani Das, Under Secy to Govt Govt Women and Child Development Dept Govt of Orissa
3. Mr. Durgesh Nandi Sahoo, Under Secy to Govt Women and Child Development Dept Govt of Orissa
4. Mr. Surinder Kumar, Deputy Director, Social Security Women and Child Development, Govt of Punjab
5. Dr. Karanjit Singh, Deputy Director, Dept of Health and Family Welfare Pariwar Kalyan Bhawan, Chadigarh, Punjab
6. Ms. Kasturi Mohapatra, State Commissioner Disability Orissa, Deptt of Women and Child Development, BBSR, Orissa
7. Mr. Laxminarayan Nanda, Child Protection and HIV AIDS Specialist, Unicef, BBSR, Orissa
8. Ms. Sugata Roy, Communication Officer, Unicef, Ranchi, Jharkhand
9. Mr. Sanjay Suman, Senior Manager, CRY, Mumbai, Maharashtra
10. Mr. Umapada Chatterjee, Jt. Secretary to the Govt Pashimbanga Sarvasiksha Avijan School education Deptt, Kolkatta, W.B.
11. Mr. Ranjan Kr Mohanty, Secretary PECUC & Convenor, Orissa Alliance on CRC, BBSR,
12. Ms. Soumi Guha (Halder) Programme Officer, CINI, Ranchi, Jharkhand
13. Ms. Lily Gupta, Hon. Gen. Secy & Vice President, National Association , BSC (W) for the Blind, Patna, Bihar
14. Ms. Tinku Khanna, Joint Director, Hamari Muskan, Kolkatta, W.B.
15. Ms. Srabani Sarkar, Joint Director, Hamari Muskan, Kolkatta, W.B.
16. Mr. Arijit Adhikary, Project Coordinator, New Alipore ‘PRAAJAK’ Development Society, Kolkatta, W.B.
17. Mr. Navin Kr. Roy, Senior Advisor, Bal Mahila Kalyan , Katihar, Bihar
18. Ms Sapna, Field Supervisor, Shaua Swayam Sewi Sanstha, Katihar, Bihar
19. Mr. Sanjay Kumar, Program Manager, Nidan, Patna, Bihar
20. Ms. Chittapriyao Sadhu, Advocacy Coordinator, Save the Children, Kolkatta, W.B.
21. Mr. Anil Kr. Mishra, President, Sitara, Katihar, Bihar
22. Ms. Baitali Ganguly, Executive Director, Jabala Action Research Organisation, Kolkatta, W.B.
23. Ms. Indu Sinha, State Director, Sanlaap, Patna , Bihar
24. Ms. Tapti Bhowmick, Programe Coordinator, Sanlaap , Kolkatta, W.B.
25. Mr. Prabir Basu, National Convenor, Campaign Against Child Labour (CACL), Kolkatta, W.B.
26. Mr Pravee Peter, Solidarity Centre for Peace , Ranchi,Jharkhand
27. Ms. S.M.Binita, Managing Secretary, Purwa, Patna, Bihar
28. Mr.. Pramoda Kishore Acharya, Executive Director, Committee for legal Aid to Poor, Cuttack, Orissa
29. Ms. Mouli Gupta, Project Coordinator, Jan Jagaran Sansthan, Patna Bihar
30. Mr.Ajoy Kumar Singh, Chairman, Rastirya Vikas Evem Samaj Kalyan Parishad, Patna, Bihar
31. Ms. Asita Maldahiyar, Asstt. Managing Director, Adithi, Patna
32. Ms. Sanjana Das, Technical Specialist, Child Fund India, New Delhi
33. Ms. Sapna Singh, Project Coordiantor, Azad Bachpan, Patna, Bihar
34. Ms. Aloka Mitra, Chairperson, Women Interlink Foundation, Kolkatta, W.B.
35. Mr. Mohammad Tajuddin, Program Officer, Society for Development Action, Patna Bihar
36. Mr. Nihar Ranjan Das, programme Manager, World Vihar India, LKO, U.P.
Ministry of Women and Child Development, GOI organized the consultation with support from National Institute of Public Cooperation and Child Development.
The consultation began with Welcome speech by Ms Madhu Agarwal , NIPPCCD and Ms. Harleen Walia facilitated group discussions.