Skip to content
Pension of Rs 5,000 per month. (50% of minimum wage)

A Pension is an asset plan for retirement that provides monthly income. The pension for the informal worker should be made mandatory because of reasons concerned with rising inflation, Emergency conditions, Health issues, and incapability of working. The primary agenda for enrolling in a pension scheme is to make an employee financially stable even in the later stages of their life.

Different Voluntary/Contributory Welfare Schemes are introduced by Central Government& State Govts. based on the categorization.

49,14,759 Enrolled – 23/11/2022
Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan  (PM-SYM)
Pension of Rs 3000/- per month
1926464 Enrolled – 24/11/2022
Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maandhan Yojana
Pension of Rs 3000/- per month
51922 Enrolled – 24/11/2022
National Pension Scheme for Traders and Self-Employed Persons Yojana
Pension of Rs 3000/- per month
1,95,21,704 Enrolled – 2019 – 31/10/2022
Atal Pension Yojana
Pension ranges from 1000 – 5000/- per month
State Pension Scheme – Assam
Non- Contributory
Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) Assam
Monthly pension –
Rs. 200, persons btw 60 – 79 yrs.
Rs. 500, Above 80
State Pension Scheme – Bihar
Non- Contributory
Bihar Mukhyamantri Vridhajan Pension Yojana (MVPY)
Monthly pension –
Rs. 400, persons btw 60 – 79 yrs.
Rs. 500, Above 80yrs.
State Pension Scheme – Kerala
Non- Contributory
Indira Gandhi National Old Age Pension Scheme (IGNOAPS) Kerala
Monthly Pension –
Rs. 1600/-

All the above-mentioned Central Government schemes are contributory which is unavailable for the current elderly population. Only workers below the age of 40 can be enrolled.

State-level non-Contributory pensions are very low, which is not even ¼ of the National Minimum Wage. Even though not everyone is covered in these schemes, In most places workers are waiting for someone to be deceased for them to gain the slots for the pension.

According to the data provided by United Nations, the Population of India in 2022 is estimated to be 1,417,170,000 with a growth rate of 1.15%. National Economy describes 77% of the nation’s total wealth as owned by the top ten percent of the population, and in the calculation, in the remaining 23%, a high percentage will be held by a population that will be under 60 categories. NSSO officially released that 60% of NDP is contributed by informal workers. The stats clearly show only 23% of the National Economy is held by 90% of the Indian population.

The above stats clearly show the financial insecurity of informal workers, to overcome the financial constraints of informal workers.

NIDAN  is demanding a dignified claim of Pension for all informal workers in the Nation.

The Policies framed by the government for informal workers are in the form of Welfare schemes, and the police provide Rs. 3000/month after the contribution is given by beneficiaries.

What we demand is Pension as a Social Security entitlement. Based on the 2011 census, below 3% of GDP is needed to ensure Rs. 5000 for all senior citizens in the nation.

in Demand of Pensions:

  • Ensuring Pension for informal workers as an Entitlement.
  • Fixation of a minimum rate of 50% of the National Minimum Wage/ Rs.5000 per month as a pension.
  • Provision for the states to contribute by incorporating their localities & living standards based on the fixation or above.
  • The age criteria should be finalized only after reviewing the condition of the work environment. (Hazardous environment)
  • Ensuring Pension for all informal workers without age constraints.
  • Entitle the scheme as Pension, not an Old Age Pension.